Certification for DFRobot XBoard Relay

DFRobot XBoard Relay related questions and discussions.

Certification for DFRobot XBoard Relay

Postby support » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

We will shortly begin the certification process for the new DFRobot XBoard Relay. This
process will allow us to confirm whether or not this board works with MyDoorOpener.

This board is very promising because it combines everything MyDoorOpener needs onto a single
board. That is, the actual microprocessor (Arduino compatible), an ethernet connector and 2
relays. This board would be enough to control 2 garage doors or other devices and the price
is less than 35$ per unit ... A real bargain!

http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=837

The folks at DFRobot were kind enough to send us a free unit for us to try, so we'll get to
that as soon as possible and we'll let everyone know how our testing turns out.

Stay tuned ...
support
Site Admin

Re: Certification for DFRobot XBoard Relay

Postby chrisswank » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:21 pm

Do you have any updates on whether or not this board works with MyDoorOpener?

Thank you,
Chris
chrisswank

Postby support » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:35 am

Last time we gave it a shot it wouldn't work. We still haven't made a final call on this, but we haven't had much time
to invest on that lately. We'll be back at it whenever possible, to provide a final opinion. So, the status for now is that
it doesn't work, unfortunately.

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby chrisswank » Tue May 06, 2014 9:42 am

I wanted to let you know that I told a friend about this project and he decided to purchase the XBoard Relay and was able to get it to work. :D

So, I purchased one and have it hooked up to the ol' garage door and it is working perfect.

Good news as it is 1/2 the cost of the other products.

Thanks for making this project and instructions available to everyone!

Chris
chrisswank

Postby support » Tue May 06, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi Chris,

That's great news! The unit that was provided to us by DFRobot must have been faulty
because we weren't able to have it working.

Was there anything not in our documentation or anything particular you needed to do
to have it working?

We'll most likely try to get another unit and give it another shot when we have more
time.

Thanks for letting us know about your experience ... Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby gt6mk3 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:46 am

Would love to hear this as well - have a spare one of these boards.
gt6mk3

Postby gt6mk3 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:06 am

Been working on this today.

Got the board reporting and firing the relay.

Couple of things.

First change. It's a fully fleged Leonadro. So select Leonado, and the correct comm port in the Arduino software.

Second change is the two relays on the board fire on pins D7 and D8.

So line 71 needs to be

static uint8_t relayPins[] = { 7, 8 }; // select if using DFRobot RelayShield

I'm struggling with the reporting though.

Analogue I/O pins 0 and 1 are available as pins on the board. 2-5 are unpopulated drilled and soldered holes.

A0 and A1 pins have the option of going to 5v or ground. A2-5 have "Aref" or 5v

I've tried A0 and A2 as my reference. and tried shorting. or not shorting them to ground, but I can't get them to change the status.

Here's my current attenpt
// *** IMPORTANT NOTE ***
//
// THE ARDUINO ETHERNET SHIELD RESERVES DIGITAL PINS 10, 11, 12, 13 AS WELL AS
// ANALOG PINS 0, 1, THEREFORE YOU SHOULD NOT USE ANY OF THOSE PINS FOR YOUR DEVICE(S) OR DOOR(S)

// open/close trigger relay should be connected to these digital output pins (digitalWrite).
// Adjust to match the number of devices you have hooked up (examples provided below in comment) ...

//static const uint8_t relayPins[] = { 9 }; // single device at pin #9
static uint8_t relayPins[] = { 7, 8 }; // select if using DFRobot RelayShield
//static uint8_t relayPins[] = { 2, 3 }; // two devices at pins #2 and #3
//static uint8_t relayPins[] = { 2, 3, 4, ... }; // even more devices at pins #2, #3, #4, etc ...

// status contact should be connected to these analog input pins (anologRead).
// Adjust to match the number of devices you have hooked up (examples provided below in comment) ...

//static const uint8_t statusPins[] = { 3 }; // single device at pin #3
static uint8_t statusPins[] = { 2 }; // select if using DFRobot RelayShield
//static uint8_t statusPins[] = { 2, 3 }; // two devices at pins #2 and #3
//static uint8_t statusPins[] = { 2, 3, 4, ... }; // even more devices at pins #2, #3, #4, etc ...

// status reading strategy (uncomment only one ... the one that reflects how you want status to be interpreted)

//#define STATUS_STRATEGY_3VCLOSED_5VOPENED // initial approach - uses analogRead combined with STATUS_OPEN_TRESHOLD (opened == +5v, closed == +3v)
//#define STATUS_STRATEGY_5VCLOSED_3VOPENED // alternate approach - uses analogRead combined with STATUS_OPEN_TRESHOLD (opened == +3v, closed == +5v)
//#define STATUS_STRATEGY_NORMALLY_CLOSED // classic door sensor - uses digitalRead to interpret door/device status (opened == high-impedance, closed == GND)
#define STATUS_STRATEGY_NORMALLY_OPENED // alternate approach - uses digitalRead to interpret door/device status (opened == GND, closed == high-impedance)

// Analog boundary value (0-1023) used to distinguish between device/door status == opened and closed. Only applicable
// when STATUS_STRATEGY_3VCLOSED_5VOPENED or STATUS_STRATEGY_5VCLOSED_3VOPENED is being used.

#define STATUS_OPEN_TRESHOLD 1000

Shorting pin 2 to ground gives me no change. (I'vetried the same thing with pin 0 selected, shorting it to ground also gives no change.)

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Craig
gt6mk3

Postby support » Sat May 10, 2014 10:31 am

Knowing that there is some hope with this XBoard relay board, we'll try ordering another
one, as the sample provided by DFRobot did not work. We'll report back when we have it working ...

By the way, thanks for sharing your findings so far.
support
Site Admin

Postby EdwardE » Thu May 15, 2014 10:30 am

Based on Chris' success, I purchased the board, using D8 and A3 (soldered a male header), only 'gotcha' was Open/Close sensing. I had to change a few + 14 (for Uno), to + 18 (for Leonardo) in the script, works like a charm. Thanks for a great solution.

Ed
EdwardE

Postby support » Thu May 15, 2014 7:54 pm

Thanks for sharing Ed,

As said earlier, we'll try to get our hands on a working board and update our
documentation accordingly. That'll definitely be easier for everyone to work with.

Thanks again!
support
Site Admin

Next

Return to DFRobot XBoard Relay