Trouble getting door status working.

DFRobot XBoard Relay related questions and discussions.

Trouble getting door status working.

Postby xamos1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi all Just got my X-Board from DFRobot. Was So Exited. Installed sketch into X-Board got relay working from inside network and out with Door Opener App but cant get Door Status wording keeps saying Unknown. Has anyone have any clue what in doing wrong?

HELP
HELP
HELP

Mike
xamos1

Re: Trouble getting door status working.

Postby support » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi Mike,

Are you experiencing this using v2.4 of the Arduino backend code? If so, please try using v2.3, as v2.4 is still in the works (not final yet).

Thanks,
support
Site Admin

Postby xamos1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Veraion 2.3 I can't get to compleil
xamos1

Postby support » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:49 am

Hi Xamos1,

You are most likely not having the library files in the right folder. Other forum posts have already been discussing
and resolving this topic. Please do a search and you should find your answer.

Happy New Year!
support
Site Admin

Postby bobtabin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:28 pm

Hello! First, thank you for such a great project! I've just received my DFRobot XBoard Relay board today (replacing my Ethernet + USB & 4 Relay board because the network port got fried). I can get the 2.4 software to engage the relay D7 (NO2/COM2) just fine and the garage door goes up and door great. However, this is where (as in other posters) run into an issue with the sensing pins. I have my door sensor connected to analog pin 3 (A3) and GND (exactly as pictured within your step-by-step guide). I tested the sensor wires that go into the board with a meter and when the door is closed it's grounded, when the door is open, there is no connection--therefore, I know the wires are good. The more I look into it, I noticed in the web browser it shows the following, no matter what the door is at (open or closed). I believe the "statusPin" values 253 and 27 are not correct. I have my iOS app set with D7 and A3 for the app and the app shows an Unknown status for the door (doesn't know if it's open or closed, but it will open and closed it/engage the relay).

<?xml version="1.0"?>
-<myDoorOpener>
<status statusPin="253">Opened</status>
<status statusPin="27">Opened</status>
<challengeToken>Cyber9845</challengeToken>
</myDoorOpener>

Also, by the way, prior to getting 2.4 to compile, within the Arduino software, I had to import each library that came with the 2.4 code you supplied (under the Sketch menu and Import Library).

So I decided to take your advice on another post and go to version 2.3 instead. However, in any attempts to compiling v2.3 I receive the following compilation errors (I tried on two separate computers thinking the v2.4 libraries on the first computer are causing an issue with the 2.3 code):

Arduino: 1.0.6 (Windows NT (unknown)), Board: "Arduino Ethernet"
In file included from MyDoorOpener.ino:41:
C:\Users\Bob\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Webduino/WebServer.h: In member function 'int WebServer::read()':
C:\Users\Bob\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Webduino/WebServer.h:647: error: ambiguous overload for 'operator==' in '((WebServer*)this)->WebServer::m_client == 0'
C:\Users\Bob\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Webduino/WebServer.h:647: note: candidates are: operator==(int, int) <built-in>
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Ethernet/EthernetClient.h:27: note: virtual bool EthernetClient::operator==(const EthernetClient&)

Therefore, what can I do to resolve this issue? If I resolve the v2.3 compilation issue, will that solve my A3 sensor issue (not detecting the door open/close state)? or if we can correct the v2.4 code to detect the correct statusPin values, will that possible solve my problem?

I was so excited to get this new board (going from two boards stacked with a USB card inserted to a single board) tonight, but I cannot get the full affect of the code/product. I would really appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Thank you very much!

Pictures of my board, wiring, and app config are attached.

On a side note, could I not connect the door sensor to the GND terminal hole that's on the same side as the A3 terminal hole? in your instructions you connected one wire to A3 and the other side of that sensor to the GND on the opposite side of the board (see my pictures too). If I can connect them to the same side of the board, it makes for a cleaner wiring install. Thanks.

Bob
Attachments
BoardConfig.jpg
BoardConfig.jpg (374.08 KiB) Viewed 13323 times
bobtabin

Postby support » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:41 pm

Indeed. It seems that the WebDuino version bundled with our v2.3 archive is at fault and causing those compiler errors. For a quick fix,
you can simply overwrite the libraries/WebDuino/WebServer.h file with their latest version. You can get it @ https://github.com/sirleech/Webduino.

We won't be fixing our v2.3 bundle as we are focusing on actually getting rid of WebDuino which is what v2.4 does. We're still
working on that bug where the status pins are not being properly output in the output XML. Hopefully we'll have a fix soon. Stay tuned
and thanks for your patience!
support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:37 pm

v2.4 has been updated. Please download again from GitHub and re-install. Please confirm XML is now properly output with proper/valid status pin numbers.

Thank you!
support
Site Admin

Postby bobtabin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:53 pm

Thank you! I have confirmed that the latest v2.4 corrects the issue with the status pins. Everything works wonderful! My garage door opens and closes and senses the correct open/close status. Following your instructions in conjunction with this v2.4 update (1/8/2015 edition), the door opener works as intended.

A note relating to the Relay wiring: The instructions show the relay at the end of the board as D7, but in actuality the relay furthest from the end is D7, thus I simply wired my garage door button to the D7 relay, furthest from the end. The board labels the D7 relay as "D7." Therefore, simply put, make sure you're actually wiring your relay to the D7 relay and use status pins A3 and GND for door sensing, as described in the instructions.

A note relating to the sensing pin wiring: After verifying everything works with this code update, I made one minor adjustment as to how I wire the sensing pins (two wires). I chose (and tested/verified functionally first) to utilize the GND hole for my sensing wire that exists on the same side of the board as the analog pin 3 (A3). This allowed me to keep the four wires on the same side of the board (two relay wires and two sensing wires: A3 and GND). I've attached the picture of my wiring for the board as described herein.

Therefore, with all this said, this confirms that the DFRobot XBoard Relay board using v2.4 works perfect.

I appreciate your efforts in supporting this product and various setups. This is my second Arduino MyDoorOpener configuration (previous was the more expensive stacked Ethernet + USB & 4 Relay board). This new, all-in-one board is MUCH simpler and more cost effective!
Attachments
SnapShot.jpg
SnapShot.jpg (554.57 KiB) Viewed 13320 times
bobtabin

Postby support » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:07 am

Hi bobtabin,

Thanks for confirming v2.4 works for you too. As for GND, yeah, you can use just any GND pin.

Please provide a review/feedback on the Apple App Store. Not enough people do, unfortunately. Thanks for doing so!

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby z0ner » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:21 pm

bobtabin wrote:A note relating to the Relay wiring: The instructions show the relay at the end of the board as D7, but in actuality the relay furthest from the end is D7, thus I simply wired my garage door button to the D7 relay, furthest from the end. The board labels the D7 relay as "D7." Therefore, simply put, make sure you're actually wiring your relay to the D7 relay and use status pins A3 and GND for door sensing, as described in the instructions.

Can confirm. The instructions show COM1/NO1 belonging to Digital pin #7 (D7) when that relay is actually D8. You can either switch your wiring to the other relay's terminal block, or configure your DEVICE in your application to fire Controller Relay Pin Number 8.
z0ner

Return to DFRobot XBoard Relay