Bad Board?

DFRobot XBoard Relay related questions and discussions.

Bad Board?

Postby drwhiskey » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:41 pm

Has anyone received a bad board?
My XBoard doesn't seem to be recognized my my computer. The relays just starting firing and don't stop.
I've tried two windows 7 machines and three cables.
The computers don't even detect I've plugged anything in.
drwhiskey

Re: Bad Board?

Postby support » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Make sure you configured the Arduino IDE to use an "Arduino Leonardo" board (not an "Arduino Uno" which I believe is the default).
Once that is done, try selecting the appropriate port and upload a sketch and see if that works.
support
Site Admin

Postby eredder » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:19 pm

This is the reply I got from DFRobot tech support.

"Thank you for contacting DFRobot technical support.
The new batch should come with a click testing code. If you find the relays are running once a second.
That is OK.

Let us know if you have further questions or suggestions."
eredder

Postby support » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:54 pm

Ok. So basically, what they are saying is that they have pre-loaded a sketch that will click the relay every second ...

So until you upload another sketch (MyDoorOpener.ino for example), this is standard behavior.

Thanks for sharing that detail. Ours didn't have that pre-loaded sketch.
support
Site Admin

Postby drwhiskey » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:31 pm

I received the same reply from DFRobot. The issue is my computer(s) are not detecting the board when plugged in.
I've checked in device manager and NOTHING shows up under serial and under USB, there's nothing that appears to be the arduino.

I have selected Leonardo as the type, too. I just can't seem to get any computer to detect the board. I have tried two computers and now 4 USB cables.

I'm going to try a Windows 8 laptop later and will see if it works...
drwhiskey

Postby drwhiskey » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:24 am

Update: I finally got the board to be recognized by the computer. I think the issue may have been that every cable I tried was either bad or was a device charging only USB cable. I tried one last cable, my Amazon Kindle Paperwhite cable, and it worked. As soon as I plugged it in, the computer recognized the board.

A quick search shows that many USB cables sold these days are strictly for charging devices and don't work with data transfer. But, I know two of the other cables I tried should have been for data transfer as well, so I'm not sure what the problem exactly was.

But, just wanted to let everyone know mine is now communicating with the computer and I was able to upload a sketch.

Thank you!
drwhiskey

Return to DFRobot XBoard Relay