Multiple Locations ISSUE . .

General support questions and discussions.

Multiple Locations ISSUE . .

Postby garym77 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:22 pm

I have set up 2 Arduinos with the MYDOOROPENER app (Home and Work locations) with different IP addresses and find that if for some reason one of the connections is down, that the APP will not function (for the other location)

I suspect that it is looking for the session tokens for both locations and when one cant be found, it is failing with a communications error . . .

Is there a way to work around this ( or just eliminate the token altogether )

Thanks

Gary
garym77

Re: Multiple Locations ISSUE . .

Postby support » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your feedback.

Indeed, it could be that when the application encounters a server communication error with one of the controllers,
it will not update the subsequent controller's status.

We'll further investigate and if confirmed, we'll adjust that behaviour so that status for successful controllers get updated
even when one or more of the other controllers fail to communicate.

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Gary,

We are not observing that behaviour. Just to confirm the scenario ... We have one Arduino properly operating
and configured as well as a 2nd one which is configured but not actually plugged-in. We've added 1 device to
each controller in the iPhone app configuration ...

When the iPhone app refreshes, it does display a message letting us know that it got an error from one of
the controllers, but the device from the working controller does properly report its status (GREEN). The device
from the failing controller reports its status as ORANGE, which is normal as the app wasn't able to obtain
its status from the controller ...

All looks to be fine for us ... Would you mind going into more details regarding your configuration and maybe
sharing your failing controller's URL - via email @support if you'd rather not have everyone have it ;-)

Thanks,
support
Site Admin

Postby garym77 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:15 pm

I will bring the unit from work home and set them up on my test bench where I can better check them out. I will keep you posted Tks Gary
garym77

Postby garym77 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:07 am

OK, It does seem to work when one unit is disconnected, however, I am constantly getting the "Connecting" message with the spinning circle for a Loooong time ( like 10 seconds) followed by a "Timeout" message. . . But. . after the timeout message, the units seem to work OK . . . Can you give me some insight here. . . Can the timeout delay be adjusted ?

Thanks Gary
garym77

Postby support » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Ok, so just to make sure I understand correctly, you have 2 controllers configured and one is offline, therefore
when communicating with that offline controller, the iPhone app enters a "Communicating" cycle which is longer
than usual ... Is that correct ? If so, that's just normal behaviour ...

Unfortunately, the timeout delay is not currently configurable in the app. It's set to 15 seconds. If you know your
controller is offline or disconnected, the only option I see for now is to remove it from the App configuration for
the time being.

What about we add (in a future app version update) a new Controller option called "ENABLED" ON/OFF switch so
that you can turn a Controller ON or OFF without having to remove it from the App configuration? When a Controller
is set to OFF, it wouldn't show up in the App's main 2 views and wouldn't be polled by the application ...

Let us know if that would accommodate your needs ...

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby garym77 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:25 am

That would be a good idea, but it just seems odd that I keep getting the "Time Out" message ( which you have to dismiss every time) , but the doors open fine after that . . . Also, 15 seconds is an E T E R N I T Y . . . LOL
garym77

Postby support » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:21 am

15 seconds can be an eternity for you, but for others that run the app on a slower EDGE network, 15 seconds
might not be that long ... Anyways, when we add the "DISABLED" feature, it'll make this issue moot.

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby Fred57 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:48 pm

Hello,
I can say that I have just had the same experience. I fitted another Freetronics Ether 10 (Made in Australia, Arduino compatible) with DF Robot relay module in asecond location this weekend and it all worked until I switched the second module off to take home again for finishing, enclosure etc. Once I removed it I started having trouble with the first original one. Seems like a "disable" feature for individual URL's might be the solution.

On a different issue. It seems that my controller will work for a few days and then require resetting because the comms cease. It's not the network because I have cameras and WeMo devices that run perfectly. Can you make any suggestion as to what I should look for. I have tried switching the controller from the iPhone whilst serial port monitoring is running and I can see that the controller is not being communicated with on these occasions. I reset the controller and way it goes again. I swapped it out with the second one mentioned above and the same thing happens. All other network devices, printers, server etc continue to work fine. If it was one controller I could suspect hardware I guess but 2?

Thanks,
Fred57

Postby support » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:13 am

For your first item (the ENABLE ON/OFF on a per controller basis), will be included in our next release (early 2014). For your second
item, we have heard of issues similar to yours and they seem to have been resolved by replacing some of the hardware as it was faulty.

Also, we strongly suggest you don't use "clone" controllers or shields, but instead use the "original" ones. They're more expensive but we
haven't had as many issues with them.

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Return to Support