Trouble with TP Link Nano as Wifi Adaptor

General support questions and discussions.

Trouble with TP Link Nano as Wifi Adaptor

Postby djmtb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:54 pm

Hello,
I am new to arduino work so please forgive any ignorance here!

I am attempting a setup using an arduino uno rev3, separate ethernet shield, and the dfrobot relay shield v2.1. I am also attempting to use a TP Link TL-WR702N Nano as a wifi client since I have no ethernet access in my garage. However the arduino seems to have trouble with the TP link Nano. I can hook the arduino up to my router via ethernet and I've got 100% reliability. I can hook the TP Link nano up to my computer as a client and it seems 100% reliable. (I am sitting in the garage using the nano as a wifi client for my laptop to post this message.) Signal strength in the garage is not an issue, it's about 20 feet and only one wall away from the router. When the arduino goes "down" it is not visible via its internal IP on my network or from the external IP/forwarded port. Is there something special that needs tweaked with the arduino?

By the way when I say the arduino is "having trouble" I mean the iOS app connects only about 20% of the time. But when the mydooropener app can connect it does function properly. Generally I'll get an error from the iOS app saying it cannot connect to the server or the request timed out.

Thanks!
djmtb

Re: Trouble with TP Link Nano as Wifi Adaptor

Postby support » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:12 am

Hi,

Unfortunately we don't have any hands-on experience with the TP Link Nano. Hopefully, someone else will
read your post and be able to provide some advice.

Maybe you can try (for testing purposes) putting your Arduino closer to the TP Link Nano to determine if it's
a range issue. Maybe the closer you'll have it, the better it'll work. If that's the case, you might want to look
into different strategies in order to increase its range.

Also, you might want to try out another similar device, to see if it works more reliably. We suggest you buy it
from a large surface store (Best Buy, Walmart, Future Shop, etc) as they have easy/no-hassle return policies in
the event the device doesn't work as expected.

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby djmtb » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks for the quick response. The arduino is actually plugged into the tp link nano (nano in client mode) via ethernet then the nano must communicate with my belkin router over wifi. It seems to work initially for 15 minutes or so, then drops off and rarely comes back. Sitting the arduino / nano combo inches from my belkin router does not improve the situation. I will look into other devices that can work as a wifi client and see if I can find one locally. If anyone out there has had success with the tp link nano please let me know!
djmtb

Postby support » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:39 pm

Indeed, what I meant was having your Arduino/Nano closer to the home router as you tested it ... So if that didn't
improve anything then it means it's not a WiFi range issue.

The other options left to your are a) trying to change some settings either on the home router or the Nano that would fix
the issue, b) try replacing the home router with another one and see if that helps in any way or c) as you mentioned, try
another "client" type WiFi device.

Keep us posted on your results so that others can benefit.

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby djmtb » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:24 pm

An update: I picked up a netgear wnce2001 universal wifi adaptor. It is not as versatile a piece of equipment as the tp link nano (works as wifi client only) and does cost a little more but the arduino seems to like it much better. It's been online for a solid 7 hours now with no hiccups. Looks like I'll save the nano for access point duty on trips and stick with the netgear for the arduino.
djmtb

Postby support » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:26 am

Thanks for sharing. Next time we update our documentation, we'll make sure to remove our
reference to the TP Link Nano as a WiFi alternative.

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Return to Support