Debugging Problems

General support questions and discussions.

Debugging Problems

Postby brian_funtik » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:07 pm

I'm looking for some help with debugging. I have successfully set up my X-Board relay, wired it to my garage door opener and to a sensor, configured the software (version 2.4) and network and can now successfully open and close the door from inside and outside my home network. Status is working perfectly, though, due to the sensor I chose, I had to select the
Code: Select all
status strategy normally open
in the software code.

Now I am attempting to implement push notifications. After reading the forums, I have added the DNS and gateway to the
MyDoorOpenerServer myDoorOpenerServer(password, mac, ip, mydns, gateway)
and have substituted Prowl's IP address for the site name. No luck.

I am now attempting to use the serial debugging code in the software, but am not having much success. I uncommented
#define NOTIFICATIONS_SERIAL_DEBUGGING 1
and
#define PUSH_SERIAL_DEBUGGING 1
and loaded the code to the board. I turned on the serial monitor inside the Arduino application and get an endless loop of "open notification handler - detected an opened device/door @ pin #4. NOT sending notification." I don't see a noticeable change when triggering the door with the button or the iPhone app. I have attached a screen grab of my serial monitor window to this post.

Serial Monitor.tiff
Serial Monitor.tiff (353.28 KiB) Viewed 6801 times

I'm hoping someone can answer these questions:

1) I am doing debugging correctly? Is the looping normal? If so, is there an easy way to pick out relevant results from the clutter?
2) It seems incorrect that the door is reported as open in my example ... the door was in fact closed and the status was reported properly in my iPhone app. Could this be related to normally open strategy that I had to use for my sensor? Could this be the cause of my missing push notifications?

Being new to this sort of thing, maybe I'm doing something totally boneheaded. Any answers or suggestions or advice are welcome!

Brian
brian_funtik

Re: Debugging Problems

Postby support » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:05 pm

In the serial debugger, you should be seeing some logging when the door opens and no looping. Are you sure you
connected your sensor correctly? Check the instructions and make sure you have your 2 sensor wires attached appropriately ...
support
Site Admin

Postby brian_funtik » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:30 am

Thanks for the reply. I think my sensor wires are properly installed because the door status is consistently correct in the iPhone app. Since my first post I rolled back to version 2.3 of the software. After overcoming problems compiling (I had to revert to version 1.0.5 of the Arduino IDE) I was able to upload the "new" software.

After adding the variable DNServer (set to 8,8,8,8) and making the appropriate change to the .begin statement, I received a Prowl notification after resetting the board. I was excited for a minute, then learned that I ONLY receive a single notification each time after pushing the reset button on the board. And the serial monitor is still looping and not logging door status changes.

Any ideas? I haven't seen anyone with a similar problem in the forum.
brian_funtik

Postby support » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:07 am

Is it possible for you to try with another board? It may be that you have a faulty one on your hands ...
support
Site Admin

Postby brian_funtik » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:48 pm

I have just the one board and don't want to buy another just in the hope of fixing push notifications. Unfortunately I can't use SMS or email for notifications because my internet provider requires SSL for incoming mail, which is as I understand it, not supported by Arduino.

Everything else is working great and I was hoping to get over this last hurdle ... any further ideas are appreciated.
brian_funtik

Postby TVTuga » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:31 pm

Brian,

have you looked at http://www.prowlapp.com/ , this is the workaround for this , yes its another App you need to purchase but it works great.

If your search for prowl in this Forum you will find lots of info from other members.
TVTuga

Return to Support