Doors automatically opened after power outage

General support questions and discussions.

Doors automatically opened after power outage

Postby mandalay » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:03 am

As the title says, my 2 garage doors were automatically opened after a power outage yesterday. I came home and they were both wide open. I also notice that whenever I unplug the power cord from Arduino board, the doors are also opened. Is this expected? Or is there a solution for it? I hope this can be fixed since I don't want this to happen again when there is a power outage.

Thanks for any help.
mandalay

Re: Doors automatically opened after power outage

Postby TVTuga » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:31 pm

That's not Normal , i have not experienced such behavior and i do unplug mine once in a while , maybe others seen this behavior.
TVTuga

Postby support » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:45 pm

Definitely not normal. You might want to check your wiring and/or your Arduino or your relay shield itself. That's odd.
support
Site Admin

Postby mandalay » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:41 am

I believe the relay I used was the culprit. So I replaced it with DFRobot Relay Shield 2.1 and the doors are no longer opened when power is removed. However, I have not been able to get it to work properly using the latest 2.4 sketch. I did remove the jumper for D10 so it does not interfere with Ethernet Shield. My setup is Adruino Uno R3 with Ethernet Shield sitting on it and Relay Shield on top. I have 2 doors with 2 sensors. Since the 2 wires from each door mount button go to COM2/NO2 and COM3/NO3, I used D7 & D8 for digital relay pins to open/close these 2 doors. Then the status sensors go to analog A3, A4, and GND pins. I was able to see the correct door status on iOS app and open the door ONCE right after the upload via Arduino IDE 1.0.6 is successfully done. After that, the app could not communicate with the whole setup since it did not register its IP address. I tried to access the IP address with its port via different browsers and could not get its status either. In addition, IP address is not seen in the list of clients in my router. I wonder what's wrong with what I'm doing and if the latest 2.4 sketch can also be used with my setup. If not, where do I find the older version and which Arduino IDE version should I use?

Thanks for your help.
mandalay

Postby mandalay » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:23 pm

So I got rid of the old setup and went with Xboard Relay v3 as recommended in the latest guide. This new setup is a lot simpler; 3-in-1 board vs. 3 separate boards. So all is good now :D Thanks
mandalay

Postby support » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:05 am

Yeah, XBoard Relay is so much simpler. Wish this was available from day 1. Thanks for the feedback!
support
Site Admin

Return to Support