new to this

General support questions and discussions.

new to this

Postby gio_dude » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:06 am

I've never done something like this before and have minor understanding of code. meaning i don't get lost when following instructions having to write or read code.

I think this will be a fun projects and will learn a lot. I have a lot of questions that i can't seem to find the answer too.

1) can i mount the Xboard Relay or ras pi next to the motor and tap it off the motor instead of the wall switch

2) what kind of safety requirements do i need to keep in mind like case or no case. heat (since I'm reading board gets hot) or cooling.

3) Pro and cons for a arduino vs ras pi

4) its says the app will control anything that works on relay. is there more information on this?

I known i will have more question and looks like this forum is really great at answering question but i think these will help me get started know what to buy.
gio_dude

Re: new to this

Postby support » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:46 pm

1) can i mount the Xboard Relay or ras pi next to the motor and tap it off the motor instead of the wall switch

You can mount wherever you want but be mindful of temperatures (winter/summer) at which the board will be exposed. You can definitely tap into the motor directly if that's easier for you.

2) what kind of safety requirements do i need to keep in mind like case or no case. heat (since I'm reading board gets hot) or cooling.

We don't use a case. We run the board wide open so it can dissipate heat better (but the real reason is that we haven't found a case we liked enough).

3) Pro and cons for a arduino vs ras pi

We only support Arduino. Raspberry Pi port has been developed by a third party. We have tinkered with Raspberry Pi and it's not excluded that we might one day have our own code base and support for it, but not for now.

4) its says the app will control anything that works on relay. is there more information on this?

Basically, the app will trigger a relay. What you attach to that relay is up to you. Some people have it control lamps, fireplaces, gates, etc. Sky's the limit!
support
Site Admin

Re: new to this

Postby gio_dude » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:13 am

Thanks
gio_dude

Return to Support