Brand new DFRobot X-Board Relay clicks on power-on

General support questions and discussions.

Brand new DFRobot X-Board Relay clicks on power-on

Postby z0ner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:12 pm

New out of the box, without even able to upload the sketch, my X-Board seems to be defective.

Using either the wall wart or USB power, the PWR LED stays red, and the two relays click and flash their LEDs green once per second. The only hardware connection is either the A/C power or USB power.

I tried leaving it plugged in and uploading the sketch, but my Win7 can't see the device (presumably because of the relays firing), so Arduino 1.0.6 complains it can't find the Leonardo on the port.

Is the X-Board defective?

Thanks in advance.
z0ner

Re: Brand new DFRobot X-Board Relay clicks on power-on

Postby support » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:42 am

Search ... and voilà!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=299
support
Site Admin

Postby z0ner » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually dug around and found that thread, but I couldn't delete mine because the thread hadn't been approved yet.

I ran into a comedy of errors, now all resolved, which may help some peeps.

#1 I thought the X-Board was defective because of the relays firing every minute. The thread above describes it's a test program that gets loaded at the factory - ergo, not defective.

#2 I tried a few micro-USB to USB cables, but Windows wouldn't see it. I found a thread that mentioned there are actually two types - one primarily for charging, and another for charging + data transfer. I finally found one that Windows finally saw (partially).

#3 I couldn't get the Arduino Leonardo driver to install on my Windows 7 64-bit for anything. I combed the web looking for new drivers, all-in-one drivers, etc. It turned out it was because I was plugging the X-Board into my Dell monitor USB hub, and it was treating it differently than a direct USB. Once I plugged it in directly, it was recognized and I could easily upload the sketch with my changes.

I have a sensor to pick up on Monday, and then out it goes to the garage. I've already punched a hole in my firewall and tested it using the iOS app.

I'm so excited about this project simply because it's much more economical than anything else currently available. Fun little project.
z0ner

Postby support » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:48 pm

Happy everything is working out for you. Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Return to Support