Trigger door via HTTP request

General support questions and discussions.

Trigger door via HTTP request

Postby block2famous » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:58 am

Hi,

Thanks for all your assistance in the past, MyDoorOpener has been working well so far.

Just wondering if you are able to provide a HTTP URL that I can use to trigger a relay to open via HTTP?

eg. to configure a button or link on a page to trigger the relay in the same way the iPhone app triggers it?

Thanks again!
block2famous

Re: Trigger door via HTTP request

Postby support » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi,

That is not possible, at least out-of-the-box, as it would be a major security breach. The current backend implementation uses
a rolling encryption algorithm for which the encryption key changes for each request.

If you want to go down that route (and live on the edge, knowing that anyone knowing that "magic" URL could open your door),
you could slightly modify the .INO backend program to accommodate for such scenario and bypass the password/encryption logic
for a specific HTTP request URL (different than the one used by the iPhone app).

We highly discourage users from doing so as it would be a major vulnerability, but if you believe otherwise, go for it!

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:06 pm

Small precision ...

We do support (out-of-the-box), querying of door/device status via an HTTP URL. So you
can from any web browser know whether or not a door or device is open or closed.

Simply point your web browser to your Arduino's IP address, for example - http://172.16.1.111/
and you will get back an XML encoded response with each of your devices' status at that given
time.

Device/door status reporting is considered less sensitive and therefore doesn't require going thru
the AES-256 key encryption algorithm.

Triggering (open/close), as per our previous post, is a complete different ball game.

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby a3b2c1r46 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Sorry for replying to an old thread but it hits on exactly my issue.

My system will be published internally only so having a 'magic' url that opens the door will be less of an issue. I'm using the system in an atypical scenario to say the least.

With that in mind could someone give me a better concept of where to edit the INO file to bypass this encryption portion?

I'm a fairly capable user but I'm new to Arduino and have had this box loaded for quite some time. Are the modifications made during the initial compile or as part of the sketch system used to upload the programming to the system?

TIA
a3b2c1r46

Return to Support