Port forwarding - Netgear WNR2000

General support questions and discussions.

Port forwarding - Netgear WNR2000

Postby PTB » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:21 am

Hi folks,

Just in the midst of setting this up and I cant get it to work from the internet side. I do have it triggering nicely from the local network side.

I'm a bit new to this port forwarding caper, so I have probably have made some kind of rookie error.

I am using an xboard relay for the arduino side and my router is a WNR2000

I have also tested the port on www.canyouseeme.org..... not getting through

In the router....
1. WAN Setup => Changed NAT filtering from Secured to open
2. Port Forwarding/Port Triggering => Added an FTP port

(Changed Service Name to HTTP still no worky)

3. LAN Setup => reserved an ip address for the arduino

Like I said ... internal connection via wifi works fine.....but the internet port forwarded connection is giving me grief.

Any assistance greatly appreciated... thanks

PTB
PTB

Re: Port forwarding - Netgear WNR2000

Postby support » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:56 pm

Assuming your external IP address is 144.12.14.122 and the internal IP address of your Arduino is 192.168.0.13,
you'd want to define the following NAT forwarding rule on your router:

WAN -> LAN NAT port forwarding
144.12.14.122 (port 80) -> 192.168.0.13 (port 80)

I don't know how your specific router works, but you want to have WAN to LAN forward on port 80.
support
Site Admin

Postby PTB » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:16 am

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I thought that was what I had achieved but I went and rechecked.

Here's the Latest Testing Trials
While I am Testing, I have two devices setup on MyDoorOpener App on the iphone. One for connecting via wifi and one for connecting via internet.

I did an update of the firmware on my router and from what I had read somewhere it sounds like loopback is catered for in the latest firmware.
This has now got the opener responding over wifi on BOTH devices "Garage Door Wifi" and "Garage Door Internet" but only while connected to wifi.

IPHONE (running MyDoorOpener Version 3.2 and IOS 8.1.2)
======

1. Garage Door Wifi
2. Garage Door Internet

Two controllers
1. internal ip
2. external ip

Internal ip
======
Enabled => Green => on
Devices => Garage Door Wifi => Relay Pin 7, Status Pin 3
Name => internal ip
Description => Wifi connection required
URL => http://192.168.1.159:80
Password => xxx

External ip
=======
Enabled => Green => on
Devices => Garage Door Internet => Relay Pin 7, Status Pin 3 (same as for Internal ip)
Name => external ip
Description => Connect from outside world
URL => http://XXX.YY.ZZ.TT:80 <= Not my real address ;)
Password => xxx

===============================================================================
Relevant Arduino Settings

uint8_t ip[4] = { 192, 168, 1 , 159 };
int port = 80;
uint8_t mac[6] = { 0xDE, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED };
char* password = "xxx";
uint8_t relayPins[] = { 7, 8 }; // select if using DFRobot XBoard Relay
uint8_t statusPins[] = { 3, 4 }; // select if using DFRobot XBoard Relay
#define USING_XBOARD_RELAY

WNR2000 Router Settings

Under Port Forwarding
===============
Service Name => MyDoorOpener
Protocol => TCP/UDP
Starting Port => 80
Ending Port => 80
Server IP Address => 192.168.1.159

Under LAN Setup / Address Reservation
==========================
IP Address => 192.168.1.159
MAC Address => DE:AD:BE:EF:FE:EED
Device Name => MYDOOROPENER

Under WAN Setup
============
NAT Filtering => Open (Was originally set as secured)
Testing

A. Wifi On and connected to my own home router
Garage Door Wifi => Green Dot => Works.
Garage Door Internet => Green Dot=> Works.

B. Wifi Disabled on phone and connected to internet via cellular data
Garage Door Wifi => Orange Dot=> DOES NOT WORK => Says "Communicating" for about 15 seconds then says "The request timed out"
Garage Door Internet => Orange Dot=> DOES NOT WORK => Instantly says "The request timed out"

C. Entering 192.168.1.159 or my routers IP address into a web browser (Hard wired PC) both return the arduino xml file.

D. Entering 192.168.1.159 or my routers IP address into safari on my iphone (connected to wifi) both return the arduino xml file.

E. Entering 192.168.1.159 or my routers IP address into safari on my iphone (wifi disabled and using cellular data) fail to contact the arduino.

F. Entering my routers IP address into http://www.canyouseeme.org from my PC results in connection timed out

G. Entering my routers IP address into http://www.canyouseeme.org from my iphone (connected to wifi) results in connection timed out.

================================================================================

Soooo..... does this sound like my ISP is blocking port 80 ? Or does something else appear amiss above ?

Thanks

PTB
PTB

Postby support » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:30 am

Ask you ISP if they are blocking port 80. We don't use port 80 externally. We're using some other odd port number on the external
side, and as part of the NAT forwarding rule, we forward from odd port number (external) to port 80 (internal), as that's the port
the Arduino is configured to run on (although you could change the internal port to be something else than 80 as well) ...
support
Site Admin

Postby cedric » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:05 am

(ok 1st off i am a total newbie in all this and i am french so i might not use the good word or something but ill try my best)

hi i had some trouble setting up the router also, frankly i had to change my new router to an older 1 that i installed dd wrt (custom firmware) on it to be able to do some NAT Looping,
some router dont support to acces there external ip adress from our local lan, ill post the screen shot of what i did and if you have more question just ask

1st go to http://www.whatismyip.com/
2d go sign in for a no ip adress or any other (http://www.noip.com/)
3d go in host/redirect tab, add host tab , chose a host name (any name is fine),chose port 8080, your external ip, and add host
np ip.png
np ip.png (27.33 KiB) Viewed 8357 times

4th go in your router config and do the ddns config like i did, our exyeternal ip change time to time my router have the option to make change by itself on no ip website, so i dont have to do it manualy
ddns.png
ddns.png (37.53 KiB) Viewed 8357 times

5th go in port forwarding and fill up name of application , source leave blank , port i chose 8080 to redirect to 80 incase my isp block it, ip adress well the ip of your module and port of the module.
port forward.png
port forward.png (30.58 KiB) Viewed 8357 times

thats about what i did, there might be better ways or some issue i dont know like i said i am not realy good but thats what i did for it to work so now i can acces it from my local lan and lte using same no ip adress i made and all works.

i know your router is not same as mine but it to help you ( btw if it dosent work ,http://www.dd-wrt.com/ , support your router so you could had the firmware they have and it might make it work, maybe your router dont support nat looping and dd wrt do support it)
cedric

Postby support » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:37 pm

Merci d'avoir partagé ta recette Cédric ... We also speak French (from Montreal, Quebec, Canada).

Remember to also post a review/rating (hopefully positive) on the Apple App Store. Thanks!
support
Site Admin

Postby PTB » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi guys,

First up..... thanks (And Merci) for the helpful responses.

Secondly..... Its working over internet now via port forwarding. :mrgreen:

Cedric, Thanks heaps for the wrt suggestion. I have an older router lying around somewhere which could well be a candidate for it.

I think my problems may have been two fold.

1. A cheap router that allows forwarding of a port but does not have the option to remap the port number. Eg. I can forward http://XXX.YY.ZZ.TT:60000 to 192.168.1.60000 but not 192.168.1.80
A friend of mine has a more expensive netgear router which has a different configuration screen and it does indeed have the option to map the port as well as the IP which mine doesnt.
I guess you get what you pay for. :|

2. I rang my ISP and got some dodgy call centre and they were adamant that they don't block port 80. Some posts on the net suggest otherwise. Again... it could have been the WNR2000 not forwarding 80.
But I'm thinking ISP blocking.

Anyhoo.... forwarded the port 60000 to internal 192.168.1.159:60000 changed the arduino port code to match and away she went.

===========

Just a side note....
During my trials and tribulations I bought a TP-LINK TL-WR702N 150Mbps Wireless N Mini Pocket AP Router.
And plugged that into the Xboard relay.

I configured it in client mode with an address of 192.168.1.160 and gave the xboard relay a fixed address of 192.168.1.159
It worked first shot and I had the dooropener running wirelessly without having to run a network cable downstairs from the router. This was on wifi.

Once I got the internet version working the mini router/xboard combo stopped and I couldn't make it work no matter what I tried when connected via internet.

Went back to cabled connection and its all good.

Thanks again for the help.

I'm just currently setting up my prowl notifications and I will be done.

Regards

PTB
PTB

Postby support » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:07 pm

Cool. We always like to hear stories with an happy end line!
support
Site Admin

Return to Support