Prowl notifications and Status Pin errors in v2.4

General support questions and discussions.

Prowl notifications and Status Pin errors in v2.4

Postby mangowala » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:59 pm

Hello,

I just updated to v2.4 of the release and I am still facing two major issues.

My Kit:
Xboard Relay
Sensors at Pins 3 and 4 [ MC 38 Wired Door Window Sensor -- from Amazon ]
Mydooropener Code - Version 2.4
Push notifications via Prowl:
Normally Closed strategy

ISSUE 1. Prowl notifications dont work. I reduced watchdog mins to 1 instead of 5; I know for a fact that Status Pin 3 sensor works fine. So when the sensor [door] is open for more than a minute, I DO NOT get any notifications pushed through from Arduino to whererever [ i.e.Prowl app in my iphone]. I also changed this back to 5, still no notifications ??

ISSUE 2:
I ocasionally check the xml output by going to internet explorer browser and typing the myrouterip:portnumber. I do get the correct status for Pin 3, but I started noticing that in v2.4, Pin 4 us not being displayed. Instead its Pin 0, and its status is ALWAYS OPENED. ???? I am not sure why this is like this.

<myDoorOpener>
<status statusPin="3">Opened</status>
<status statusPin="0">Opened</status>
<challengeToken>Cyber1599094</challengeToken>
</myDoorOpener>

Can someone point me in the right direction. Other than these two, I am able to trigger BOTH relays from my iphone and everything seems OK.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

NOTE:
I had only one issue while on v2.3 [prowl notis wold not work]. When I went to IE browser and typed, http://myrouterip:portnum, i used to get correct status for both Pins 3 and 4, like it should.
mangowala

Re: Prowl notifications and Status Pin errors in v2.4

Postby support » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:12 pm

Yeah, there's a known problem with v2.4 and status reporting. I suggest staying with 2.3 for now as 2.4 is not a final version.
support
Site Admin

Postby berwickgeek » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:54 pm

I went down the exact same path - went back to 2.3 and it all started working fine.

Also - make sure you review this doc carefully (http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/EthernetBegin) and modify your .begin statement accordingly if you need to. I had to put my router IP address for the gateway in ended up hardcoding in 8.8.8.8 for the DNS server - after doing so the prowl notifications worked perfectly.
berwickgeek

Postby cmot » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:02 am

Hi

Very similar configuration. I successfully configured, installed and ran 2.4 using an xboard relay
The iOS app successfully triggers the relay, so the ip configuration, NAT, etc. all seem good. However, the app continues to show orange for status - that is unknown.

When I use a browser to talk to the xboard, I get the following:

<myDoorOpener>
<script/>
<challengeToken>Cyber594749</challengeToken>
</myDoorOpener>

So it looks as if it can't read the status of any pin (I didn't change the pin settings). So I tried to download and compile 2.3. But this throws the following error:

Arduino: 1.0.6 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Leonardo"
In file included from MyDoorOpener.ino:41:
/Users/tarr/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Webduino/WebServer.h: In member function 'int WebServer::read()':
/Users/tarr/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Webduino/WebServer.h:647: error: ambiguous overload for 'operator==' in '((WebServer*)this)->WebServer::m_client == 0'
/Users/tarr/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Webduino/WebServer.h:647: note: candidates are: operator==(int, int) <built-in>
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/Ethernet/EthernetClient.h:27: note: virtual bool EthernetClient::operator==(const EthernetClient&)

Help very much appreciated. Either in getting 2.3 to compile or getting 2.4 to correctly recognize at least pin 3 (which is all I need).

thanks in advance.

Mike
cmot

Postby support » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:45 pm

Indeed. It seems that the WebDuino version bundled with our v2.3 archive is at fault and causing those compiler errors. For a quick fix,
you can simply overwrite the libraries/WebDuino/WebServer.h file with their latest version. You can get it @ https://github.com/sirleech/Webduino.

We won't be fixing our v2.3 bundle as we are focusing on actually getting rid of WebDuino which is what v2.4 does. We're still
working on that bug where the status pins are not being properly output in the output XML. Hopefully we'll have a fix soon. Stay tuned
and thanks for your patience!
support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:36 pm

v2.4 has been updated. Please download again from GitHub and re-install. Please confirm XML is now properly output with proper/valid status pin numbers.

Thank you!
support
Site Admin

Postby mangowala » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:16 am

Hi All,

Just a couple of hours ago, after reading the posts, I rolled back to v2.3 and managed to work on Ethernet.begin AND GOT BOTH problems fixed successfully.

So I guess, v2.3 is stable [ note: as of this writing, Support had just said that v2.4 is working, but i had already rolled back to v2.3].
XML works fine for both pins 3 and 4 with v 2.3

Prowl Notifications:

As pointed out, really the bug seems to be in Ethernet.begin line.

This is what I added and below are excerpts from my uploaded CODE:

// on your home router to do that. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding for more details.

static const uint8_t ip[4] = { 192, 168, 1, 80 }; // This is IP inside the home network

IPAddress dnServer(6xx, xx, xx, xxx); // NOTE: THESE NUMBERS HAVE TO BE FOUND FROM THE ROUTER PAGE..and not from CMD prompt - ipconfig;
IPAddress gateway(xxx, xxx, xxx, xx); // NOTE: THESE NUMBERS HAVE TO BE FOUND FROM THE ROUTER PAGE..and not from CMD prompt - ipconfig;
IPAddress subnet(2xx, xxx, 2xxx, xxx); // NOTE: THESE NUMBERS HAVE TO BE FOUND FROM THE ROUTER PAGE..and not from CMD prompt - ipconfig;

// password required for operating door [max length = 16] (status fetching doesn't require password)......

// start web server
Ethernet.begin(mac, ip, dnServer, gateway, subnet); // NOTICE THAT THE CODE HAS BEEN CHANGED FROM just Ethernet.begin(mac, ip);
webserver.setDefaultCommand(&webRequestHandler);

OFCOURSE your Prowl API key has to be valid,,...and viola....Prowl notifications are getting pushed to my iphone !!!!

I think at this time, I am going to call it done...and start boxing this up, for final installation in garage.
I do not think, I am going to update to v2.4, although I am going to watch what changed and follow a "wait and see" approach.....

Anyways, thanks guys....everyones awesome...and greatly appreciate the support and help.

Best Regards,
mangowala

Postby support » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:14 am

Yes, v2.3 is stable besides the fact that it got bundled with an older WebDuino library that doesn't work with
the latest Arduino IDE. We still recommend upgrading to v2.4 as the last known/remaining issue was fixed and
was confirmed to be working.

As for the Gateway and DNS, this is not a bug per say. For some people, this is not necessary. For others, they
will need to provide it. In v2.4, the constructor to MyDoorOpenerServer can be added 2 extra optional
parameters: Dns and Gateway.

For example, change (near line #72):
Code: Select all
MyDoorOpenerServer myDoorOpenerServer(password, mac, ip);

with:
MyDoorOpenerServer myDoorOpenerServer(password, mac, ip, myDns, myGateway);

And make sure you defined new variables myDns and myGateway, defined similarly as ip (uint8_t [4]).

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby PTB » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:39 pm

Ok..... I'm having trouble getting the prowl notifications to work.

My previous history with this is in here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=326

I can send an email to my prowl api key and that works great as a test but I cant get the arduino xboard relay to send me notifications.
The magnetic reed switch I installed is working ok as the status works fine within the iphone mydooropener app.

Testing is tricky now that I have it installed as far as uploading new sketches goes.

Just wondering......

I am using 2.4 and I am using this line

MyDoorOpenerServer myDoorOpenerServer(password, mac, ip, myDns, myGateway);

Should it have an extra parameter written into the library to get the subnet as well ?

As written here from above post

Ethernet.begin(mac, ip, dnServer, gateway, subnet); // NOTICE THAT THE CODE HAS BEEN CHANGED FROM just Ethernet.begin(mac, ip);

Again any help greatly appreciated. I'm soooooo close to having it finished :|

Cheers

PTB
PTB

Postby support » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:21 am

Have you tried setting prowlServerName to use their IP address instead of their name (api.prowlapp.com) ? Maybe you're having a DNS name to IP resolution problem ?
support
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support