False push alarm notifications

General support questions and discussions.

False push alarm notifications

Postby Will » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:41 pm

I'm having an issue reviving false alarms throught the day. Both when the door is open or closed. More when open. I will receive push notifications that the door just opened. However, the door is already open any May have been for hours. I am trying to figure out if this is a code issue: being too sensitive. Or if maybe static electricity is causing the switch in the Aduino to think the state change closed/open. So also thinking maybe a filter to block this on the wire to the door switch. Thoughts?
Will

Re: False push alarm notifications

Postby support » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:18 am

What status sensing strategy have you configured in your .INO file?

STATUS_STRATEGY_3VCLOSED_5VOPENED // initial approach - uses analogRead combined with STATUS_OPEN_TRESHOLD (opened == +5v, closed == +3v)
STATUS_STRATEGY_5VCLOSED_3VOPENED // alternate approach - uses analogRead combined with STATUS_OPEN_TRESHOLD (opened == +3v, closed == +5v)
STATUS_STRATEGY_NORMALLY_CLOSED // classic door sensor - uses digitalRead to interpret door/device status (opened == high-impedance, closed == GND)
STATUS_STRATEGY_NORMALLY_OPENED // alternate approach - uses digitalRead to interpret door/device status (opened == GND, closed == high-impedance)

Ideally, to avoid situations such as the one you are describing, you should be using one of the strategies that uses a digital read instead of an analog read. If,
for any reason, you must use a strategy that relies on an analog read, you can fine tune the sensitivity by tweaking with the STATUS_OPEN_TRESHOLD value
which by default is set to 1000. It can be adjusted to any value between 0 and 1023.

But definitely switch to a digital read strategy if you can. It's 0 or 1 ... No ambiguous reads.
support
Site Admin

Return to Support