Multiple Controllers

General support questions and discussions.

Multiple Controllers

Postby Aadams1278 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:03 am

The app clearly seems to be able to interface with multiple controllers. The question I have is if I have multiple controllers on the same network in my house, how should I set it up so that they don't interfere with each other and the instructions from the app get to the correct controller? If the additional controllers had a device connected to the same pin as the original controller, wouldn't that cause confusion in the app?

Is this done by choosing a different incoming port for the second, and subsequent, controllers? (and add port forwarding instructions for those additional controllers accordingly)

I guess what I'm asking is if I change the port within the arduino code will that work, or is port 80 hardcoded in the iphone app in some way?
Aadams1278

Re: Multiple Controllers

Postby support » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:47 am

Hi,

Indeed the app does support multiple controllers, either within the same network or on different networks. What you
would typically do to have two or more controllers on the same network is have each of them obviously configured
using different IP addresses. Each controller can use the same port (on the internal network) since the IP will already
be enough to distinguish them on your network.

Then, in your NAT port forwarding rules, you would have traffic sent to Arduino #1 or Arduino #2 based on routing rules
relying either on domain names, external port, IP (if your router supports that), etc.

In the iPhone application, each controller gets configured using a different external/public URL (name/IP/port) so even
if the same pins are used on both Arduino controllers, it won't matter because each gets handled thru a different URL HTTP
request.

Hope these explanations make things clearer. If not, don't hesitate to ask.
support
Site Admin

Return to Support