programing a Ardrunio Ethernet Shield

General support questions and discussions.

programing a Ardrunio Ethernet Shield

Postby Flyer » Sun May 04, 2014 3:11 pm

I know this is a silly question but I am not sure of the answer. I have been working on the open my garage door setup and I can not figure out how to program the Chinese knockoff of the Ethernet Shield. Is it programed by attaching the Arduino Uno to the shield to program it with the software then attached to the Relay shield? I have tried the Arduino USB2 serial converter and that seems to be a nonstarter,no pins to plug in to except for the ICSP male pins and the ICSP female pins on the Shield, but It seems to me the pins do not match the pinout. I looked for a programer cable to plug into the ICSP on the Ethernet shield but no and I also tried to make my own cable but it does not seem to work either. Besides this problem and the wait for parts the project seems to be moving forward. I would appreciate any help to get this project up and running. Also I have got the shield up and running when attached to the Arduino uno board and my computer does see it.
John M
Flyer

Re: programing a Ardrunio Ethernet Shield

Postby support » Tue May 06, 2014 9:30 pm

I suggest you post your questions on the Arduino community forums. Your odds of having people
that experienced similar issues (or that can assist you) with that specific hardware are much higher ...
support
Site Admin

Postby Flyer » Fri May 09, 2014 12:00 am

I did figure it out. It was the wrong hardware. Did not know there was actually 2 versions of the Ethernet shield. Seems there is actually a lot of stuff out there with similar names and you have to really investigate to find out what is the right piece of hardware, but thanks anyway.
Flyer

Postby support » Sat May 10, 2014 11:01 am

Glad you figured it out ... Thanks for reporting back as it will most likely be helpful to others too. It
is tricky as there are indeed many variants out there, but that's also part of the fun! ;)

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby spicetraders » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:55 pm

I seem to have run into the same issue the new version of the Arduino Ethernet Board and the Arduino Ethernet Shield are the same but different in the one is missing the serial connector. The frightful part is the one with the serial connector is about $80 and hard to find the newer board is about $12 and easy to find. I hope some one can tell of the way to load the program on the newer board as I had plans to make a couple of these controls for use in my home.
The Arduino site does not seem to provide much details on the newer board as far as serial but does mention that it can get serial from the uno board.
It would seem that MYDOOROPENER.com folks would b e very anxious to find the way to make the much cheaper board work as that large cost difference in the boards will be a stopper from me proceeding as well as others.
spicetraders

Postby support » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Can you provide a link to that 12$ board you're talking about? I doubt there's an Arduino+Ethernet board that costs only 12$ ...

In all cases, you'll need to get some adapter to upload your code onto the board, there's just no way around this, at
least that we're aware of ... I suggest you check with the manufacturer of that board you're using as they should know
how to upload code to their hardware ...

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby spicetraders » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:43 pm

I just did a general search for Adruino Ethernet board. And found several of the Arduino Ethernet Shields for 12-18 dollars so bought 2 at $12 price, it is possible they are clones, not sure as they match exact. I have put one on a Arduino UNO R3 (cost board for < $15) to test and they function well, but in researching and connecting they work as the single board all for under 30 dollars, the only problem now is how to connect the relay board to the already married unit. The relay wants to connect direct to the UNO and the Ethernet shield wants to mate there also but the mating of the relay board to the shield leaves a couple pins missing. If the relay was put in middle then the 6 pin (3 double row) in center has no connectivity. So am now trying to marry the relay board.
If I could marry the relay to the shield piggy back on the UNO then I would save near $40 per unit built.

I now see the non-UNO Ethernet and non-ethernet UNo is far more popular and therefore cheaper. Even buying the two together is still half cost do too less desire for the combined board. So I state again more sense to have plans for a dual board unit then a combined board unit.
spicetraders

Postby support » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Please provide explicit links to the specific hardware you're using. We can't help if we don't know exactly what hardware
you're using. There are too many Chinese knockoffs out there and we don't support those, by the way (too many problems) ...

"You get what you pay for" is what I always say ...
support
Site Admin

Return to Support