If Arduino is powered original remote controls stop working

General support questions and discussions.

If Arduino is powered original remote controls stop working

Postby alfonsmr » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:53 pm

Hello,

Anyone knows what can be the reason why my original 3 button remote controlls stop working when the arduino with mydooropener software is power up.

As soon as i turn it of the remotes work again. the hardware is installed like half meter away from the main door motor.

some kind of interference?

Thanks.
alfonsmr

Re: If Arduino is powered original remote controls stop work

Postby support » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:31 pm

First off, sorry for the delay in getting back ...

Have you connected the Arduino circuitry in parallel with your "original" button(s). If you have, this
should have zero impact on your existing button(s).
support
Site Admin

Postby alfonsmr » Sat May 03, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi Thanks for the replay.

I don't have any problem with the wall mounted button (it came with the door). it operates correctly and it is installed in parallel.

The problem is with the "wireless" remotes (the ones you have in the car), there is some kind of interference and the remotes stop working when i power up the Arduino.

if i turn OFF the Arduino the remotes can operate normally even at 5 or 10 meters of distance.
If the Arduino is turned ON the remotes stop operating and sometimes they work if i put them at maximum 10cm of the antena.

I assume I have some kind of wireless interference and I'm just asking to see if anyone else has encountered this issue.

Thanks !
Alfons
alfonsmr

Postby support » Tue May 06, 2014 9:26 pm

Wow! That's weird ... First time I hear of something similar ...
support
Site Admin

Postby bheil123 » Sun May 25, 2014 2:47 pm

I have the same problem. Two different garage door manaufacturers and wireless controls.
bheil123

Postby support » Mon May 26, 2014 7:25 am

Same issue ... therefore your wall-mount button works fine, your Arduino setup works fine too but your wireless remote doesn't ... correct ?

Again, what more can we say than, very strange ... Out of curiosity, what brand/model is it ?
support
Site Admin

Postby Celesguy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:04 pm

Add me to this list. Arduino hooked in parallel with the switch and my remotes do not work unless the Arduino is unplugged. It's a Chamberlain Liftmaster Professional 1/2HP opener. Both remotes don't work and neither does the passcode remote outside unless Arduino is off. I even switched the Arduino from a WiFi bridge to a powerline and it still made no difference.
Celesguy

Postby support » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:18 am

For those experiencing this issue, a solution might be to have the Arduino attached to a battery operated remote
clicker instead of the hard wired wall mount button. Basically, it's the same procedure, that is you hook up the Arduino
in parallel, etc, but you are not tampering with the door opener's physical installation which most likely is causing
this issue.

I know some people have done this even if they weren't having this issue, so I figure this could be an alternative.
support
Site Admin

Postby Celesguy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:37 am

That will not work either. Even if the button is completely disconnected from the Arduino the remotes still do not work.
Celesguy

Postby support » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:05 am

Ok. So you're saying the problem is not a tampering one, but rather some sort of radio interference ?

If that's the case, it's even weirder than I thought. Could you have your Arduino installed further from the garage and
have a wire run to the garage. That's our actual setup since our garage is not heated and we wanted to keep the Arduino
hardware in a warm/dry location, inside the house ...

Very strange!
support
Site Admin

Return to Support