SMTP Trouble

General support questions and discussions.

SMTP Trouble

Postby ToddG » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:50 pm

Aside from updating the smtpServerName, smtpServerPort, and smtpToForEmail, do I need to update the
smtpClient.println(F("HELO relai.mydooropener.com")); which is in the notifyViaEmail function?

I cannot get the email or sms notification to work. I have turned on debugging but am unable to see the smtp client commands or responses. Just the debugging you have coded.
ToddG

Re: SMTP Trouble

Postby support » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi Todd,

For SMTP to work you need to :

a) uncomment near line #148 which reads:
//#define SMTP_NOTIFICATIONS

b) edit near line #153 to put a valid SMTP server:
static const char smtpServerName[] = "smtp-server.your-isp.com";

c) edit near line #156 to put a valid SMTP port:
static const int smtpServerPort = 25;

d) edit near line #159 to put a valid destination email address:
static const char smtpToForEmail[] = "your.address@gmail.com";

SMTP notifications will only work if your SMTP server accepts non-SSL and non-authenticated access. Many ISPs
will not let you send thru their SMTP without first authenticating. The built-in SMTP support we have provided doesn't
include any authentication nor does it provide SSL encryption. This is the #1 reason why SMTP fails for some of our users.

We haven't gone thru fully implementing SMTP authentication for multiple reasons:

1) The Arduino platform doesn't have any SSL libraries available, so full SMTP authentication support is not possible.
2) There are way too many SMTP authentication variants and supporting all of them appropriately would be almost impossible.

Feel free to modify the notifyViaEmail() method to suit your specific ISP's SMTP specification. As long as it doesn't
require SSL, you should be able to do so quite easily. If you do and it works for you, please be kind and share your code for
others to use in our "Arduino Backend Enhancements" forum.

We do however, strongly suggest you use push notifications, currently supported thru the Prowl application. Those
are more reliable, accurate and get delivered in much more timely fashion.

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Return to Support