Hardware and Software Requirements

General support questions and discussions.

Hardware and Software Requirements

Postby bsix11242 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:46 pm

I've been using this solution for a while now and it has worked great. I've often thought about going back and adding support to send e-mails and such. Now that those pieces are now added to the .ino, I'm wondering if I can simply make the changes like I did to the earlier .PDE and compile/upload successfully. My concern is the possible need to use the new DFRobot Relay shield. Since what I've got works I'd like to not go there.
bsix11242

Re: Hardware and Software Requirements

Postby support » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi,

You should be able to use the new INO file even if you're not using the new DFRobot Relay Shield. In the
new INO file, you'll find constants (near line ~86) that allows you to configure how your setup works. Uncomment
only one of those strategy definitions.

Code: Select all
#define STATUS_STRATEGY_3VCLOSED_5VOPENED // initial approach - uses analogRead combined with STATUS_OPEN_TRESHOLD (opened == +5v, closed == +3v)
//#define STATUS_STRATEGY_5VCLOSED_3VOPENED // alternate approach - uses analogRead combined with STATUS_OPEN_TRESHOLD (opened == +3v, closed == +5v)
//#define STATUS_STRATEGY_NORMALLY_CLOSED // classic door sensor - uses digitalRead to interpret door/device status (opened == high-impedance, closed == GND)
//#define STATUS_STRATEGY_NORMALLY_OPENED // alternate approach - uses digitalRead to interpret door/device status (opened == GND, closed == high-impedance)

For an older/original setup, you'd typically uncomment the STATUS_STRATEGY_3VCLOSED_5VOPENED line. Keep an old copy of your original PDE file, just
in case you can't make it work, but I really don't see why you wouldn't be able to. Foundations have remained the same throughout the versions.

Also, make sure you setup the relayPins and statusPins arrays appropriately. You should be able to set these up using the same values you have in your current PDE file.

I strongly suggest you make the basic open/close + status feedback work before trying to enable notifications. Divide and conquer is always a good approach when
tackling tasks that can be broken down into smaller chunks (baby steps).

Try it out and let us know how it went.

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby bsix11242 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:16 pm

Seems to work just fine ;-) Since I don't have any open/close status contact sensors it seems it doesn't matter which strategy I choose. Any of them allow the passwords to be compared and the relay triggered which gets the door opened or closed.

I'm guessing I could add the sensors to the original setup of the controller. If I try that, can I still use Pin 3 and GND to make the loop and then choose for example the Normally Closed strategy?
bsix11242

Postby support » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Glad everything is working. Remember to please post a review on the Apple iTunes store. That's the only thing keeping
us alive, and unfortunately, not that many people do review the app ... Thanks in advance for doing so!

So to answer your subsequent question, YES, you could and should use the newer strategies for status sensing, even if
you're not using a DFRobot Relay Shield. The newer strategies rely on the more accurate digital read instead of analog
read operations. They're also simpler to setup too.

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Return to Support