Door won't open

General support questions and discussions.

Door won't open

Postby philipkole » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:38 pm

I have setup mydooropener with the Arduino Ethernet rev3 and the dfrobot relay shield. I have a successful setup except my door won't open. I have a Craftsman door opener. I have my Arduino programmed and plugged into my network. I can access it from the iPhone app and hear the relay click when I hit the open button in the app but the door doesn't open. I can push the button on the relay board and get it to open but it messes up the display screen on my garage door remote panel. My panel has a door open/close button, a light button and a lock button. It has programming buttons on the side of it and a display panel showing the date and time along with the battery charge level as it has a battery in the unit if the power goes out. I have connected the wires from relay two to the only two screws on the back of the remote door panel. I'm wondering if my door panel isn't more than just a button to open and close the door and the the closing of the relay is actually shorting out the panel.

Any thoughts on this?
philipkole

Re: Door won't open

Postby support » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:22 am

Hi Philip,

Not sure I fully follow everything as to what works and what doesn't ...

I get that your door doesn't open when pressing the "Open" button from within the App.
I get that the relay clicks when you press the "Open" button from the app (so the comm between the App and Arduino is working).

What I'm not sure is when you say "I can push the button on the relay board and get it to open" ... Do you mean that it DOES open the door or
it does trigger the relay (clicks) but without the door opening ?

You probably have something that's not properly wired ... Have you wired only a single relay or more ? If more, make sure you've configured
the app to trigger relay X and that you've attached your door's button wires to relay X. Maybe the app is triggering relay X but your door's
button is wired to relay Y ... Something like that. In other words, make sure the relay settings inside the App match the actual relay onto
which you've attached your door's button.

Keep us posted on your progress. Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby philipkole » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:52 pm

It is wired correctly. I can push the button on the relay board and the relay clicks and if I push it enough times the door opens. When it does open the display on the garage door opener mounted to the wall that came with the garage door opener resets itself. I can then push the button on the relay board and it will close the garage door. I have already made sure the connections are good.
philipkole

Postby support » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:41 pm

What brand/model door opener are we talking about here? You're mentioning a "display" on the
wall ... What is that exactly ? Some type of LCD screen or what ? Maybe that type of opener
requires a different type of wiring ... If you can provide a link, we'd have a look at it.

Thanks,
support
Site Admin

Return to Support