Open On Connect (local wifi)

New feature and product enhancement ideas and discussions.

Open On Connect (local wifi)

Postby redcaesar » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:50 pm

Hi just saw this and thought this would be great feature for the mydooropener app. I ride bikes and motorcycles and saw this feature on someones custom script that opens on wifi connect. Would be good to have this feature built into the mydooropener app so you can just drive up and not have to pull your phone out or stop the bike etc. You would have to have some way of verifying that you are connected on your local wifi and not just any wifi. One idea (maybe there is better way) is to have the app ping the local lan IP of the raspberry pi/Arduino upon wifi connect. If reply is recieved it would then toggle/open the door. I think that would be enough to determine that it is indeed on the local wifi network. So settings would be just an feild for local IP, and check box to enable/disable the feature as I'm sure there are times you would not want to have it enabled. Maybe make it possible to pin on non standard port to help eleminate false positives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97oZNOBbrfQ&feature=youtu.be

App is amazing... haven't even gotten it into my garage yet but just from testing it on top of my desk it works great. I have implemented it with the raspberry pi.
redcaesar

Re: Open On Connect (local wifi)

Postby support » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks for your feedback.

We added this great idea to our product backlog. If it gets requested enough, we may eventually add it to the product in a future release.

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Postby aurelutz2007 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:47 am

I would also like to have this feature implemented.
aurelutz2007

Postby roads » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:53 pm

+1
roads

Postby craigg » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:39 am

Yep, add me too (another biker)
craigg

Postby craigg » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:43 am

Just to add to the previous suggestions: it would be great to have a toggle I can switch on to say next time I connect to home wifi open the garage door, then have it reset the toggle. The reason being that if my phone drops the wifi and reconnects for some reason (e.g. during the night) it will open the door. I just want it to open the door automatically next time i connect, but not subsequently. Hope that makes sense??
craigg

Postby support » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:21 am

Not to burst your bubble, but this type of feature will not happen as part of the MyDoorOpener application per say. We just
introduced v3.2 which exposes URLs for external applications to call ...

The use cases you are suggesting are typically why these URLs were added. You should use an external application such as
Launch Center Pro (or one of the many others) to call one of the URLs whenever such X, Y or Z event occurs. X, Y, Z
being Beacon proximity, WiFi proximity or any other environmental events.

Monitoring the environment and changes to the environment to trigger devices is not "core" to our app and a complex feat
with many intricacies, therefore we leave that to those other apps which are already doing a great job at it. Now, simply have
those "environment monitoring" apps trigger the MyDoorOpener app thru our newly exposed URLs when such event occurs, and
you'll have a solution to your use case.

Best regards,
support
Site Admin

Return to New Feature Requests